Wednesday, August 12, 2009


The background is finished on the Lily Quilt, as is the fusing of the stabilizer and machine applique. Now all that stands between me and quilting bliss is the embroidery of those details that will make these lilies look like, well, lilies.

Before I went at the quilt with thread and a dream, I decided to do a test run to make sure I know that I'm achieving the results I want with my embroidery technique, and also that the stabilizer I'm using will be stable enough to keep the fabric from puckering. Out came the ugly fabric I know will never be used for any other purpose. Out came the scrap batting and stabilizer.

So it began. I did find a certain amount of fabric puckering did occur under the weight of all those stitches. What to do? I couldn't put too much more stabilizer under there, or I would find it hard to quilt later on. Maybe, just maybe, it would sort itself out when I quilted around it. I gave it a try.

Presto! It DID work itself out in the quilting. I did find that there were directions that the stitches could go in to ease the puckers out. But I feel I can go into the embroidery of the real deal without too much fear.

Here I go!


Diane J. Evans said...

Hi, Megan -- I tried to write you back at your email address, but something went wrong. I wanted to thank you for the lovely comment on my blog, and to tell you that this quilting blog of your is wonderful! You have a great writing style -- I feel as though I'm sitting with you and having a chat!


Wendy said...

Eh . . . Nice Stamens . . . heh, heh, heh.

Jaye said...

Hi Megan,
Thanks for reading/following I was helping my set up her new blog and saw that you were following me. I have moved my blog to and hope that you will come over and take a peek there as well.

Your flowers in this post look like some flowers that one of the CPP participants worked on. I like the embellishing that you did.

Beth said...

Keep up the nice work, you are doing beautiful